"stated value" insurance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: "stated value" insurance
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:47:02 -0400
Allow me to add another sample for the statistic. The Mistress is insured
through State Farm on a historic, "stated value" policy. This is not a
straight-forward process and it took a while to find the guy who could
answer my questions. This is not a common product for State Farm. Keep all
this in mind when you embark on this. It also means (yes, I've thought of
this) if I suffer a loss, it will almost certainly be a protracted process
to collect.

With those caveats in mind, here's how it works for me: I got several
appraisals of the car from recognized individuals,including the bodyshop
that did the body and paint work and a sales manager from a dealership that
trades in Mercedes, Porsche and other high-end stuff. I gave them to the
agent and the car is insured for this value. I can drive the car primarily
for shows, parades and pleasure use not to exceed 2500 miles per year. This
includes occasional drives to work. I have State Farm inspect and
photograph the car each year. They like it if I belong to a marque club
(gotta get around to joining VTR) and the car must be garaged. All this
costs me about $150 a year.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)

If you want to leave footprints in the sands of time, wear work boots.