Re: 74 TR6 on a 71 Frame

To: lee.k.janssen@lmco.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 TR6 on a 71 Frame
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:06:18 EST
In a message dated 1/12/99 7:16:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lee.k.janssen@lmco.com writes:

> Does anyone have experience putting a late model TR6 body (74) on an early
>  model frame (71)?
>  I'm particularly interested in the differences for mounting the front
>  bumper.

Lee,

I can't be 100% certain, as I haven't actually made the swap yet, but
preliminary measurements and evaluations lead me to think that the bumper
mountings differ only on the bumper, and not on the frame. I am putting a '71
bumper on a '75 model, and I am convinced it will fit with no mods at all to
the frame, after comparing side by side to the '71. The body is another matter
on the '75, as I will have to cut new holes for the above bumper lights as
used on the '71.

>From that, and from reviewing the various catalogs, I am convinced that the
'74 body will fit the '71 frame with no mods at all. Take all this with a
grain of salt, as I haven't actually done done this.

There is a lot of additional bracing on the later frames for the bumpers, but
it was all an "add-on", and it can just be "added off" with no problems. Other
than the additional bumper bracing, I have spotted no differences in the
frames on the '75 vs the '71. If you need some of the additional '75 bumper
bracing, let me know and we can work a deal - I have '75 bracing I don't need,
but I don't have a '71 bumper which I do need. Some if not all of the '75
bracing will also fit the '74.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html