Re: 74 TR6 on a 71 Frame

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 74 TR6 on a 71 Frame
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:54:07 -0500
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> I can't be 100% certain, as I haven't actually made the swap yet, but
> preliminary measurements and evaluations lead me to think that the bumper
> mountings differ only on the bumper, and not on the frame. I am putting a '71
> bumper on a '75 model, and I am convinced it will fit with no mods at all to
> the frame, after comparing side by side to the '71. The body is another matter
> on the '75, as I will have to cut new holes for the above bumper lights as
> used on the '71.

The overall height of the bumper was raised about 2 1/2" - 3" in '74.  There is
not
enough room to install the lamps in the remaining space between the lower edge
of the
grille opening and the later, higher bumper.  The low-height, early bumper WILL
bolt
to the mounting holes on the late valence, but you will need to drill new holes
in the
fenders for the side attachments.  Early brackets will fit without modification.
Also, in the late valence, you will  have two large rectangular holes above the
bumper
mount pads where the reinforcing bars used to pass through.  Unfortunately,
these
holes don't match the openings for the turn signals, and will need to be closed
up
before you can cut the holes for the turn signals.

The only other frame differences are at the trans. mount, where you can use the
appropriate mount for that particular year chassis.  Around the front
suspension lower
wishbone mounts, where reinforcing brackets may or may not have been added over
the
years.  And also there are a pair of extra brackets on the front pan, used for
the
stays that extend out to the license plate bracket on later cars, but they won't
interfere if left in place on an early model.

Good luck!!!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars