Re: THE BRICKS

To: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: THE BRICKS
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:12:36 +0100
Carl and friends,
I can relate to that suggestion...
It was exactly what I did in late September last Year... After having
met John and his son for dinner one evening, in not one but two nice
British country pubs, I was the proud and happy "owner" of one genuine
Triumph Works brick. I brought it with me in my carry on luggage in
the plane when I flew home to Sweden [for just over a week waiting for
the TR8 service to be finished up in Ramsbottom]. I didn't want to
take the risk of it ending up as stray luggage in Timbuktu, Tuvalu or
Toronto or anything like that... You should have seen the faces of the
security personnel at Stanstead Airport when they X-rayed my bag!!!
Since they couldn't [on the screen] make out what that black block was
[Semtex??!? ;-) ] they wanted to manually inspect it. Well, I/we took
it out of the bag and then the wrapper and I told them that it was a
very special brick indeed, not just any old stone... And then told
them the story of the brick - and its meaning to me and the Swedish
Triumph Club [who is the proper owner of the brick]. They didn't want
to let me bring it aboard at first but eventually we agreed on a
compromise and the stewardess was to be informed and the bag [with
brick] stored by her somewhere... So my recommendation to anyone
bringing a brick while flying, be it a true Triumph one or any other
brick, would be - put it in the suitcase You send in the luggage
compartment! It will save You a lot of hassle!

Regards
/Odd
BTW, the Swedish customs had nothing to say about bringing a used
brick into the country - yet one more benefit of being a member of the
European Union... ;-)

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,