seat slides

To: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: seat slides
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:45:22 -0600 (CST)
I have just removed my seats and taken the slides out and apart. On the
bench the slides would move slowly with the help of a big rubber hammer!  I
discovered that they would not just slide right off and come apart however.
Something was catching and I found a small dimple that was put into the
slide as a stop.  There is a small dimple at each end of each slide
mechanism.  I drilled out this dimple and then the slide would slide apart.
I was surprised to find two little steel rollers inside with o-ring seals
around.  These (i guess) provided tension and also helped roll the seat
forward and backward.  Anyway the track the rollers rolled in was extrememy
dirty, greasy and I could understand why they did not slide easily.

So far I have dismantled all my seat slides and have not repaired them.  I
plan on cleaning up, sandblasting and painting the slides.  Then re-install
them with rollers.  Don't think I will need to re-dimple the slides but if
necessary could just put another dimple beside the one I drilled out.

Testing without the rollers....and the seat slides slid like sally on a
slide in a snowstorm!!  (now calm down there gary!!)

Anyway hope this helps!!
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Wellman, Iowa