re: rebuilding lever shocks

To: "Barre, Matthew LCDR" <MBarre@comdt.uscg.mil>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: re: rebuilding lever shocks
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:55:53 -0500
Message text written by "Barre, Matthew LCDR"
>I don't think there is much to rebuild.  Just the seat seal on the valve
that regulates the fluid flow and of course the seal where the shaft comes
out for the lever.  A local bearing and seal house was confident that they
could match up anything I brought in, I just got discouraged when I took the
top off of the shock and couldn't figure out where to go from there.  It
must be to press out the cross shaft and then the internals come out?
<

Yes, I think that is the sequence.  I have to get a junker shock to brutalize
and
hammer on.  Once I have destroyed it, I ought to be able to find out how it
ought
to have been done the first time.

It may be that the shaft seal does not need replacing unless the shock is
leaking.
However, once the shaft is out, I bet installing the new seal is a piece of
cake.

Since you have once dismantled a shock, even a little, you have infinitely more
experience than me

-Tony