TR4 distrib springs

To: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: TR4 distrib springs
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 05:52:54 EST
 I bought the set of five distributor springs from Moss UK
in order to improve the pinking on my car.   Do you have any experience
of using them ?   They came without instructions !
Brian
I ordered the springs from Moss International because they send the two exact
ones for your specific distributor versus 5 springs to choose from. I can tell
you that the 'tech help' at Moss US told me 'firmly' to bring the distributor
to a shop with a SUN machine along with the 'advance curve specs' for your
distributor (from your manual) and get the advance set 'properly' using two of
the five springs Moss US provides. I just stuck in the two springs from Moss
International (the two very light weight ones seemed to match perfectly the
two previous rusted/broken ones) and it's been fine. I will eventually find a
distrib shop with a SUN and have it checked for accuracy but I think it's
pretty close. You might check the vacuum advance unit too - recently I did a
survey and 80% of '64 TR4 owners had the vacuum marked "2-6-3" (starting
vacuum - max vacuum to full advance - max advance in degrees) near the line
attachment.
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74