Re: Ford Ranger Speedometer

To: Bob and Nancy <wises@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Ford Ranger Speedometer
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:54:26 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Bob and Nancy wrote:

> Yeah, I know again.  This isn't a Ford list either.  But you folks are
> pretty smart.

Well, many of us use Fords to tow Triumphs, so...

> After all, even Petrolati comes up with a good answer once
> in awhile.

Do you have specific evidence to back up that statement? (Kidding, Greg!)

> ...-15°F.  I hopped in my 94 Ford Ranger and made the commute to work.
> About 3 miles from home I got up on the expressway, pulled into the slow
> lane and was surprized to see my speedometer reading 75 mph (this
> 4-cylinder really doesn't like 75 mph--it whines something awful).  It
> "felt" no faster than 60-65.  I set the cruise control and during the 20
> mile commute the reading dropped to 63 mph.
>
> These are my questions:  1)  Why would cold make the speedo read fast?  and
> 2)  Is there anything I can do about it?

My 1991 Ford Explorer has basically the same speedo (internally, anyway).
And it's done this in the cold since the first winter I owned it; still
does it to this very day. I don't know what it is about the cold that does
it, but I can pretty much use my speedo as an ambient temperature gauge
(below, say, 15 degrees F, the speedo goes ballistic until the car warms
up thoroughly). As for rectifying the situation, I think there might have
been a Ford Service Bulletin on this; your dealer probably knows what to
do and can charge you accordingly to do it! :-)

--Andy (I was only doing 65 in my Explorer this morning, at an estimated
true speed of about 40!)