Re: what???

To: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: what???
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:15:07 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Arthur H. Smith wrote:

[snip]

> OK but then some one in this list said to find a vacuum leak "or one can
> use an unlit propane torch,".
>
> excuse me while I go sit way, way, way, waaaaaaayyyyyy   over there.  "r =
> nutz?????????"

This was my initial reaction to this suggestion, too, but if you
think about, what's the worse thing that can happen with a torch?  The
technique is to just crack it open and pass it by suspected vacuum-
leak points -- if the engine is indeed admitting air there, it will
suck in the propane and cause the idle to rise.  Now
admittedly, you want to do this in the open air (and a mechanical fan would
disperse the propane vapors), and you don't want to set the torch
down on the manifold and go eat lunch. But other than that, I don't see
a problem.  If the propane finds ignition, it lights -- just as it
does when you strike a flint in front of it.

On the other hand, you don't want the torch to light while you're pointing
it at a leaky gas hose.  Then you do have real problems.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6