Re: Aluminum casting refinish option - NEW

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: Aluminum casting refinish option - NEW
From: "R.P. Rooij & I.P. vd Zwan" <zulu@globalxs.nl>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 18:53:02 +0100
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, spit list <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Dave Terrick wrote:

> Guys, Gals, and Gearheads,
>
> I just had a great experience in a bead blasting cabinet with all of the
> above.  Glass media blasting is wonderful, even, non-toxic, etc.  If you
> have access to a shop, use it!  Look under sandblasting and ask.  I got mine
> done by a friend at a wheel shop.  Commercial guys will charge money bit if
> you get some club members together you can do an awful lot of parts for
> their (normal) 1 hour minimum charge.
>
> The result is a grease free, factory appearing casting which you can THEN
> finish as desired.  The aluminum colored paint is very close in appearance
> but still will not adhere to grease.
>
> Dave T

If you really want a very nice appearance try a process were they use a
kind of vapour blasting with steel pellets. (might be called 'pressure
polishing'). The components are placed in a closed cabinet and then
polished using steel pellets in a fluid. These pellets polish the
outside and also 'close' the small pinholes that might be there. The
result is a shining component that does not stain very easily.
The process can be used on aluminum components such as carburetors,
manifolds, cilinderheads et. Price is about the same as plastic/glass
media blasting and painting together.

ronald