Re: Aluminum casting refinish option - NEW

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: Aluminum casting refinish option - NEW
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:48:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, spit list <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Dave Terrick wrote:

> Guys, Gals, and Gearheads,
>
> I just had a great experience in a bead blasting cabinet with all of the
> above.  Glass media blasting is wonderful, even, non-toxic, etc.  If you

Toxicity on glass in small particle sizes still hasn't been established
(studies underway on glass fiber, to see if it acts as like asbestos or
similar fibers). But, keep in mind that it is made of sand, and the
warnings about silicosis (and, though not mentioned, pneumoconiosis) may
apply. Also, some glasses are manufactured with small amounts of
arsenic. How this might behave in the body upon inhalation, I don't
know, but it's worthwhile ensuring that the blasting booth is tight and
that the gloves are sealing properly. If not, might be a good idea to
use a mask during use.

The general rule about all such particles is related to size. If the
particle is approximately 1.2 microns or larger, it sticks, but it is
normally expelled with sputum. If it is smaller than approximately 0.8
microns, it has insufficient surface area to stick on anything, and is
breathed out. It's the particles from 0.8-1.2 microns which cause the
trouble. Anything which can mill or fracture to particles in that range
is a potential health hazard.

Cheers.