rear swingarm bushings

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rear swingarm bushings
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:48:31 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
I recently pulled one of my swingarms to replace the bushings only to find
that the bushing I took out looks and feels brand new.  As anyone who has
done this job knows, it isn't easy getting the new bushing back in the hole.
Now, normally I would just go ahead and replace the old parts with new, as
I've never really subscribed to the "if it isn't broken don't fix it" rule,
but in this case I just buttoned it all back up after replacing just the one
bushing.

Now it is eating at me...  Has anyone any experience with replacing these
bushings?  Will they be obviously worn when you remove them, or do they
always look good.  In my case, the old rubber bushing was still solid, with
cracks only evident on the exposed surfaces.  What does a bad bushing look
like?

In case you are wondering, I thought new bushings might cure some of the
rear-end shift on hard acceleration.  I have stock-hardness replacements
from TRF.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage, therefore it's mine  (dad might disagree)
'70 MGB GT  -mine, mine... all mine
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."