Re: GT6 carburetors: time to rebuild?

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 carburetors: time to rebuild?
From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:21:28 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Martin and Joe --

I had the same problem in my GT6+.  It was caused by the bypass valve
crapping out.  If this is your problem, there are two cures:  The
factory-approved and expensive solution is to replace the valve.  The DPO,
cheap solution is to block off the valve.  I did so, for example, by (1)
removing the valve; (2) placing a suitably sculpted piece of beer can
remnant over the inlet and outlet holes for the bypass valve; and (3)
reattaching the now useless bypass valve.  If you have to pass any kind of
exhaust emission guidelines, the second option may not work.  Otherwise,
give it a try.  It's cheap.  And, at least in my case, it worked.  I'm
idling at a very nice 700 rpm now as opposed to the 1200 I couldn't cure
before.

-- Andy (GT6+ in Minnesota)

p.s.  I attempted this cure because I read somewhere (where?) that if the
bypass valve stuck open it would cause a high idle.  This now elusive source
said that no problems would be encountered if the valve stuck closed.  Which
is, of course, what I replicated with my piece of Pig's Eye can.