Re: air compressor

To: "fred thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: air compressor
From: "Lawrence R Zink" <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:13:47 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Fred and list,

The most abused use of PVC pipe is for compressed air.  PVC becomes brittle
with age and loses some of its strength.  Which for home plumbing is no
great threat, since most home plumbing rarely exceeds 60 psi.  PVC has a
nasty habit of shattering, not just breaking,  when it becomes brittle, and
subjected to extreme pressure.  To be safe and have a long lasting job, I
would suggest using 1/2 inch copper rigid wall tubing and sweat fittings
including a moisture trap with at least 2 shut off valves in line.  One
above the source and one at the bottom of the moisture trap for a drain.
And if you plan to plumb a line to the out side of your shop, I would
install a valve on the inside wall to prevent the line from freezing up in
the winter months  Yes, it takes longer than using PVC but not as long as
using iron pipe.  Plus it will not rust through and is cheaper than iron, as
well as lighter.

But, these are just my own thoughts on the subject, and you may use what
ever material you prefer.

Larry Zink
Z Group Racing and Performance
Houston, Texas