Re: Stuck Spit brake drum screw!

To: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Spit brake drum screw!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Chris DeStaffany wrote:

> I purchased a 1975 spit over the weekend after about 10 minutes of
> conversation with a friend.  It's kinda neat story and I'll probably bore
> you all with it soon.  However, to the problem at hand.  The rear brakes are
> real "iffy" at best.  I went to look at the shoes and, while one of the
> screws hold the drum on backed right out, the other wond budge.  I gave it a
> couple of blasts of PB Blaster and put a screwdriver with a wrench on it and
> it bent the screwdriver.  Any ideas out there.  I'm wondering if I need to
> drill out the center and use an "easy out", never actually used one of those
> things.  Try heat.  I don't know, give me an idea.  Thanks a lot.

I think this problem has been addressed at the VTR web-site.  But if it's
hard to find, I think the gist of the article was to soak the screw in
penetrating stuff for as long as your can, then use a drift punch (flat
end) to bonk the screw in the appropriate direction.  Let's see...
striking down, you'd want to hit the left side of the screw.

Often, once they have broken free, you can finish removing with a normal
screwdriver.

Save the EZout for last; it will probably break, and you will be sad.  If
you must drill, use a big drill bit and take the whole head off the screw,
then tackled the remaining bit with vise-grips, heat, etc.  I'd try
heating the screw before drilling though.

> 1975 Spit on a jack with three tires

Where did you find a jack with three tires?

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm