Re: rear shock conversion

To: "Jim Barbuscia" <Jim.Barbuscia@West.Sun.COM>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rear shock conversion
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:10:51 -0500
> From: Jim Barbuscia <Jim.Barbuscia@West.Sun.COM>

>  Anyone really know what Apple does to make the shock "Heavy-duty"?
>  The shock has a screw with a spring and a nut on the end that puts
>  some tension on the spring which puts pressure on the valve orifice.
>  If all Apple does is tighten this nut, then I can do this at home
>  and save myself $50. plus shipping.
>  If they do more than that (other than a rebuild) I'd like to know.

Years ago, you could readily buy "competition" shock valves to go into
Armstrong lever shocks. The valves had different sized orifices (orifi?) in
it and a different spring. The valves along with a heavier weight shock oil
significantly stiffened those shocks. I have no idea what Apple uses in
their HD shocks.

TS Imported Automotive also offers HD levers, at least they do for the TR6.
A friend has them in his car and they are STIFF. Next time I need shocks
I'm getting a pair of those.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
66 TR4A CT52499