Methylene chloride....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Methylene chloride....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 00:27:49 -0600
Given a response I got from a recent reply I made about paint strippers,
I thought I would look up the MSDS for this chemical, methylene
chloride. The page can be found at:

http://www.chem.utah.edu/MSDS/M/METHYLENE_CHLORIDE

It has health drawbacks, and one can judge for one's self the impact of
those from the MSDS. As with many chlorinated hydrocarbons, it's not the
best thing to which be exposed over extended periods. If one feels this
is a reasonable product to use for the purpose intended, the general
recommendations, based on the MSDS, are:

Apply outside with good air exchange. Leave alone after application and
go somewhere else. Rinse part in a container for later proper disposal
of the effluent. Limit exposure to a few minutes in a 24-hour period.

All in all, it might be simpler to have someone bead-blast the part, or
use oleum to remove the carbon (a longer process, but using a mild
caustic material with fewer health side effects).

I initially mentioned methyl chloride, but memory obviously failed
me--methyl chloride is simply a building block of methylene chloride.

Cheers.