panel-beating advice sought

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: panel-beating advice sought
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I've managed to get most of my rear fender welded up; only have the
tail-light and rocker areas to finish.

However, it decided to warp quite badly during the whole welding process.
I managed to spring it back to "close enough" in order to fasten it to the
car, but it's under a lot of tension.

Any expert / experienced / just plain smart panel beaters out there who
know to secrets to remove a bow?  the fender wants to pull away from the
car at the rear.

Should I turf the speed-nuts and use 1/4" bolts?  Maybe just for temporary
until the dings are taken out.  Will planishing the panels while they're
"clamped" in the correct position help to stretch out the bits that need
stretching?  I suspect the welded areas have shrunk a bit due to the
coefficient of linear / area expansion :-)

I also hope to have a snapshot of the fender (circa yesterday) posted on
my web-page... just remove "triumph/trfaq.htm" from the link below to get
there.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm