Re: panel-beating advice sought

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: panel-beating advice sought
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:09:26 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm,

At 22:23 30/08/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Any expert / experienced / just plain smart panel beaters out there who
>know to secrets to remove a bow?  the fender wants to pull away from the
>car at the rear.

I can only speak theoretically. I read that when sheet metal gets stretched
during repair (or to repair a shallow dents), you need to heat it up and use
a hammer and special dolly on it. The dolly has a bumpy surface, and deforms
the mtal on a fine scale, taking out the stretch. Then, you have to fill the
surface. It sounds like a bit of a lost art, but maybe some variation on the
technique would apply, in your case.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia