Re: Carbon buildup in manifolds

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: Carbon buildup in manifolds
From: fergie@ntplx.net
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 01:08:03 -0700
Cc: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>, Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael D. Porter wrote:

> Allen Nugent wrote:
> >
> > Brad,
> >
> > At 21:21 28/08/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >Would anyone know of a product that disolves the carbon buildup
> > >found in intake and exhaust manifolds?
> >
> > If you're removing the parts, you can use gasket stripper (I don't recall a
> > brand name). It's very caustic, and can be rinsed off with water, but don't
> > get it on anything but metal!
>
> Want to use the stuff gingerly on aluminum and wash it off promptly
> after it's done its job. But, as for brand, anything with the highest
> quantity ingredient being methyl chloride will work. In the old days,
> the common de-carbonizing fluid was carbon tetrachloride, but it has
> since been banned. Methyl chloride is probably the next-best thing as
> far as chemicals go.
>
> Cheers.

Not sure if you mean methyl chloride or "methylENE chloride", but the
latter is the stuff they use to strip paint and it is HIGHLY toxic.
Don't breathe the fumes, don't get it in your eyes, don't get it on your
skin, etc. In fact, it's best to use it outside - even if you are only
using it for a short time. I actually read of one guy who had a heart
attack from breathing the vapors. If you insist on using it anyway,
neoprene gloves seem to keep it at bay as far as skin contact is
concerned - the stuff really does burn your skin. Found that out when I
used to use it.

Michael Ferguson