Re: Carbon buildup in manifolds

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Carbon buildup in manifolds
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:29:59 -0600
Cc: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Allen Nugent wrote:

> Brad,
>
> At 21:21 28/08/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Would anyone know of a product that disolves the carbon buildup
> >found in intake and exhaust manifolds?
>
> If you're removing the parts, you can use gasket stripper (I don't recall a
> brand name). It's very caustic, and can be rinsed off with water, but don't
> get it on anything but metal!

Want to use the stuff gingerly on aluminum and wash it off promptly
after it's done its job. But, as for brand, anything with the highest
quantity ingredient being methyl chloride will work. In the old days,
the common de-carbonizing fluid was carbon tetrachloride, but it has
since been banned. Methyl chloride is probably the next-best thing as
far as chemicals go.

Cheers.