Vintage Standard Fun!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vintage Standard Fun!
From: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:19:37 -0700
ubject:

        Date:
             Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:46:31 -0700

        Had the priviledge today of driving a Standard, of about mid
1950s vintage.  Not bad paint job - the same colour as my 74 MK IV.
Quite a neat machine.
        Nice big easy to grip steering wheel, and two position seat that
even tilted out of the way!  Very convenient stowage bracket for the
optional engine crank right on the transmission tunnel.  However the
instrumentation was a rather sparse.  Little 4 cylinder side valve engine
with updraught carb and straight through exhaust pipe.  Seemed to have
lots of pep for its age.  And talk about drag - that thing could drag
anything.
        I know it was a Standard, because the aluminum name plate stated
very clearly "manufactured by the Standard Motor Company, Coventry,
England."  There was a commission number, but no manufacture date.  And
it was even signed by Harry Ferguson Ltd., Coventry England.  Couldn't
find any bits on it that would fit my Spit, though.
Cheers, Fred
--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths
Calgary, Canada