Bug Triumph

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bug Triumph
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 10:33:28 -0400
OK, one more story here.  I've been reading the others with amusement and
nostalgia.

Somehow, I was born to parents who let me mess with minibikes and go karts, God
bless
them.  This has some relevance to my current predicament.

Dad was a gearhead-wannabe -- in 1969 he bought a TR3B.  Older brother totaled
it about
five years later, right before I became a legal driver.  (Timing - it's
everything in
life.)

Flash forward to Kenyon College, mid-70's.  My friend Bob from Chicago (who
just bought
a new Triumph motorcycle, BTW), comes to school with a new TR6.  We tool around
in that
sucker in some lovely central-Ohio countryside (yes, there's plenty of it); he
even
drives it to Ft. Lauderdale for our futile spring break attempts at
species-propagation
practice.

Flash forward again to 1995.  I'm driving along, casually minding my own
business, when
I spy a '74 Spitfire sitting at a gas station with a For Sale sign on it.  I
continue
driving. Little remembrances of TR3's and 6's and go-karts bouncing around in
my brain.
 A few minutes later, I return to the gas station,  and a week later I've
bought the car
for $1300 -- a basket case in terms of detail, but a darn good basic car.

After that, fate leads me to a Northern Virginia LBC shop, wherein, for some
basic labor
moving transmissions from one end of a warehouse to the other, I am rewarded
with Spit
bits and moral support.  Pretty soon, the car is scooting around like ... a
go-kart.

To shorten this story, let's just say I'm deep in torque wrenches once again.
The
Spitfire is gone; the GT6 and TR6 are here.  Sheez, at this rate, I'll become
Pete
McHugh (he of 9 Triumphs and a Morgan)!  (Right, Pete??)

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6