Triumph bug...

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumph bug...
From: Troy Johnson <clancy@softdisk.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:16:52 -0700
When i was 16, i had 2 friends (brothers) who owned a white Spitfire.
Actually, at the time i didn't even know what the car was. We used to
get stoned ( you must realize, this was 1969-70), and go off on
adventures in the Spit. The 2 brothers would ride in the front and i
would position my 145 lb. frame sideways behind them. We would cruise
suburbia looking for interesting sights. I can still remember whipping
around sharp curves on Cross lake and speeding down out-of-the-way dirt
roads in rural areas. The car was so agile and quick. (the weed we had
smoked or the acid we had dropped made it all the more interesting) It
was quite a trip.
As life went on, i owned a couple of motorcycles, and various cars (a 64
Chevy Impala with a 327 and a 4 barrel carb) being one of them, then
more recently (1990) a Mitsubishi Eclipse with turbo, but i always
wanted an LBC.....just never had the money at the right time to purchase
one.....i even once happpened upon an MGB in someones driveway....they
wanted 300 bucks for it at first.....the engine was disassymbled but all
the parts were there.....This was an older couple whose son had started
a project and then went away to college.....when i went to look at it,
they even came to the point of wanting to give me the car just to haul
it off. I had no place to store or work on it, little money, and no way
of getting it off the property, so i declined. Finally, 2 years ago i
started seriously looking for a car......ended up with a 78 Spit out of
Austin Texas....Went there from Bossier City, LA and hauled it back to
my garage. It was in drivable condition when i purchased it, but it
needed suspension work, rear spring, paint, and other cosmetics. This
car has been a blast from the past....It, like the one i used to ride
in, is white and takes the curves in like manner.....The Spit has me
hankering for a TR6, and one day i hope to acquire one of them......just
need a place to house and work on it, so a sepeate garage will probably
come first.

Troy Johnson
78 Spitfire