Re: sound advice sought

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: sound advice sought
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:58:41 -0700
Cc: glite <glite@eos.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Installed the universal DIN holder in the support by cutting the
> rectangular hole in the aluminum support and snapping the holder in
> place (easy cut).  Then recovered the center support with a kit from
> TRF.

To cut the opening and not have to recover the dash support, try this:- peal
back
the covering around the opening
- insert nails between the metal support and cover.  The nails give a small gap
between the two
- using a reinforced cutting wheel in a Dremel, cut the opening from the back of
the dash support, without going to far through the cover
- use a sharp knife and cut the padding out from behind the cover
- bend the cover over the new opening and stick it to the support again

Other option (easier):
- cut the opening through the aluminium and cover
- if needed, trim the cover opening neatly to match the aluminium hole
- the radio trim piece will hide the edge of the opening

> Works well (about three years now)  except you can't read the dial (too
> low) and there is not a lot of room to slide cassettes or CD's when in
> first or third gear.

I agree - I can't see the tape direction indicator while driving.  I also
recommend test fitting everything before messing with any wires - wouldn't want
to put in a bunch of effort only to find things don't fit.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6