Speedo for all flavors

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speedo for all flavors
From: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:56:19 -0500

Jordan,

I was one of the folks to talk about '6 speedo units.  I believe the
discussion is the same for the '4/4A.  There is a fixed tooth counter
gear on the tailshaft of your tranny.  The tooth count is the same for
the non-OD and OD transmissions.  The speedo unit 'counts' the number of
revolutions the tailshaft turns and converts that to a speed indicator
and odometer counter.  It is the responsibility of the speedo unit
calibration to get the conversion right.  Unfortunately, changes in diff
ratios and/or tire size will affect the accuracy of the conversion,
causing an under/over speed depending on the final drive rations
achieved.

The Smiths speedo units have the 'conversion rates'  printed on the
outside edge of the front face.  For the '6, I have found two numbers,
1120 and 1000 turns per mile.  I don't know what the numbers are for the
'4/4A.  My understanding is that these units can be calibrated (by who?)
for accuracy, and they were accurate +/- 10% out of the factory.  I've
even heard rumors that the factory installed the incorrect units in the
later '6s so the U.S. folks would think they were zipping around (can
you conform John Mac?).

Scott Mackay
Austin, TX