Re: How/when did the Triumph bug bite you?

To: cnlduckwor@ninenet.com
Subject: Re: How/when did the Triumph bug bite you?
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 06:32:26 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
My summers during my highschool years centered around the local swimming pool.
Several of the lifeguards (who were college students) owned various LBC,
including a couple of Sprites and an MGA. My mother had a Sprite. And, a
friend of mine in highschool had a TR-3. The closest thing I came to any of
those was a 1962 Renault Dauphine. I first fell in love with Triumphs at the
1967 New York Auto Show. I liked the GT6 MkI concept but the low bumper turned
me off. During 1969 I was in Vietnam at a Special Forces border camp paging
through a Triumph brochure I picked up during an infrequent trip to a base
camp PX. They had moved the bumper on the 1969 GT6+ and I wanted one bad. I
negotiated a deal for one via mail to the Triumph/Morgan dealer, Joe Kamm's
Auto Rama in Reading Pennsylvania. I took delivery on November 15th the day
after I returned from the Nam. I drove that car all over Pa and tok it to Ft.
Bragg. Participated in auto crosses and rallys. It eventually wore out and I
traded it in 1973. It was pale yellow. I wanted a BRG finish with minilite
wheels but the factory was on strike when I ordered it and I had to take what
was available at the time. 25 years later I was reading an article about a man
who restored MG's. I was going to buy an MGB but then I remembered the
sophistication of the GT6+ suspension and the power of the six cylinder
engine. My search for a GT6+ began. I found one in Hemmings at Team Triumph,
Scott Harper's operation in Warren, Ohio. It was in a warehouse covered with a
tarp. When tey pulled the cover back it was BRG with minilite wheels. A dream
come true!!!!

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan