Re: f.e. alig.

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: f.e. alig.
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:46:04 -0400
Cc: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net

ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-08-26 18:54:10 EDT, vafred@erols.com writes:
>
> > Listers, called a couple of local recomended repair shops here in N. Va.
> >  today to get the F.E. checked for alignment, the pass. side tire is not
> >  wearing right. Was given a few different prices but one I would like to
> >  pass along, "London Auto Services Ltd." in Fairfax, Va., told me if I
> >  only needed toe-in & toe-out its $93.00, if I needed caster and camber,
> >  upper & lower its $195.00 + all parts and they almost always need some
> >  parts, if its real rusted & any stripped bolts it can be a little higher
> >  than this, when I asked why so high, he said a F.E. alig. usually takes
> >  about 3 hours. When I told him this was a concours show car, he said it
> >  might be just a little less. I've been around a long time, and if a
> >  mechanic needs 3 hours to alig. a F.E., I prefer not to have it on my
> >  car. Thanks but no thanks.
> >

> Fred, just had my '88 300ZX aligned (all four wheels).  Cost me $74 total (inc
> tax).  I had a toe-in problem on both front wheels and a camber problem on 1
> rear wheel.  I was amazed at how simple the adjustments were.  Of course, he
> had a $30k machine that took the readings.  All he did was get under the car
> and adjust the wheels until the computer showed him it was "in spec."  He
> showed me that the way to do it was to fix the back end and then re-check the
> front.  After he did the back the front was out - then when he did one front
> wheel the other was out, so he adjusted them both until they both were "in
> spec."  Took 55 minutes total from the first diagnostic to completion.  Ride
> is noticeable different.
>
> He works on Ferraris, Mercedes and Land Rovers and was interested in my TR4
> story.  He also said that Nisson was smart enough to keep the adjustments
> simple and pretty easy - not like some modern Detroit stuff.  E.g. for the
> 300Z - no castor or camber on the front end - just built strong enough to not
> go out.  Cheers.
>
> Art Kelly

  Ditto that with my spitfire.  Impressive $30,000 machine which even spit out a
report of manufacturers specs., my measurements prior to and after adjustment --
really pretty wild.  The big difference though (living in a rural area) total
charge $29.  I was expecting (and would have been satisfied with) multiples of
that number.

Ed Hamilton