Re: f.e. alig.

To: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: f.e. alig.
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:29:24 EDT
Cc: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-08-26 18:54:10 EDT, vafred@erols.com writes:

> Listers, called a couple of local recomended repair shops here in N. Va.
>  today to get the F.E. checked for alignment, the pass. side tire is not
>  wearing right. Was given a few different prices but one I would like to
>  pass along, "London Auto Services Ltd." in Fairfax, Va., told me if I
>  only needed toe-in & toe-out its $93.00, if I needed caster and camber,
>  upper & lower its $195.00 + all parts and they almost always need some
>  parts, if its real rusted & any stripped bolts it can be a little higher
>  than this, when I asked why so high, he said a F.E. alig. usually takes
>  about 3 hours. When I told him this was a concours show car, he said it
>  might be just a little less. I've been around a long time, and if a
>  mechanic needs 3 hours to alig. a F.E., I prefer not to have it on my
>  car. Thanks but no thanks.

Fred, just had my '88 300ZX aligned (all four wheels).  Cost me $74 total (inc
tax).  I had a toe-in problem on both front wheels and a camber problem on 1
rear wheel.  I was amazed at how simple the adjustments were.  Of course, he
had a $30k machine that took the readings.  All he did was get under the car
and adjust the wheels until the computer showed him it was "in spec."  He
showed me that the way to do it was to fix the back end and then re-check the
front.  After he did the back the front was out - then when he did one front
wheel the other was out, so he adjusted them both until they both were "in
spec."  Took 55 minutes total from the first diagnostic to completion.  Ride
is noticeable different.

He works on Ferraris, Mercedes and Land Rovers and was interested in my TR4
story.  He also said that Nisson was smart enough to keep the adjustments
simple and pretty easy - not like some modern Detroit stuff.  E.g. for the
300Z - no castor or camber on the front end - just built strong enough to not
go out.  Cheers.

Art Kelly