Re: Regular maintenance

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Regular maintenance
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:11:01 -0400
Cc: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
John and Andy,

In my experience (not backed by any polymer chemistry),
we should change the gearbox and diff oils.  However,
not more frequently than every 3 to 5 years or 50000 miles.  This is for
standard gear oil in normal driving, I don't know about the synthetics or
about cars used heavily (racing, autocross, etc.)  When the
distinctive sulfur-like smell fades to a sour or burned smell, its time to
change the stuff.

I worked at a Jiffylube-like place to pay for college and I've drained
30 year old gear oil.  Believe me you don't want that stuff in your car.
It looks and feels like its reverted to its original form (crude oil.)

Since its a real bear of a job to drain the diff (and to refill the tranny),
call around to the local lube shops and ask if they have a vacuum
tank that removes the gear oil.  Basicly it sucks the oil out of a probuscis
(word of the day) that you stick in through the filler plug.  Most shops also
have a pump to refill and can do the tranny lots easier than the average
owner.  For me it was worth the $20 I spent to have the lube shop
do these jobs.

Be sure to warm up the oil by driving around for an hour or so first,
which of course is the easiest part.