Re: Re: GT6 Camber Woes Solution

Subject: Re: Re: GT6 Camber Woes Solution
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 25 Aug 1998 18:20:19 -0400
Scott Swanberg <sswan@mci2000.com> writes:
>>         That's a good start - a lot better than positive.  But is that
>> still with 1000 shims installed?
>
>Yup, I've got a good 5/8" to 3/4" worth at the rear mount of both lower
>wishbones.

        Not good.  Keep hunting.

        Basically there are only a few possibilities:
(This is based on knowledge of the TR6, but probably a lot carries over):

1. upper end(s) of the risers are bent outwards for whatever reason
        Check the distance between shock towers (again)
2. lower mounting points (frame rails) are too close together
        Apparently not, but measure.
3. Car is sitting too high (or possibly too low, but that usually
   causes negative camber).
        Check ride height.  If using original springs this is unlikely,
        though mis-installation or gas-pressurized shocks _could_ affect
        this.  (Spax normally won't cause this.)  Overall unlikely.
4. Worn out bushings or ovaled holes in lower A-arm
        This might be worth checking - is the trunnion hole worn, are
        the nylon bushings worn, are the lower-a-arms ovalled?  On my
        TR6, the nylon bushings when I bought it were only 3/4 of a circle.
        Also, worn-out bushings in the inner end of the lower a-arms
        will allow it to move inwards.
5. Bent vertical link or stub axle
        It happens - my TR6 wouldn't bolt together after replacing all the
        worn-out bushings because the vertical had been bent by hitting a
        curb.  Stub axles can get bent too, but it's usually in the other
        direction.  Overall this is unlikely.  Also (on a TR6) the upper
        fulcrum pins that bolt to the shock tower can be reversed - this
        WOULD cause the problem.
6. Incorrect installation/mounting.
        On a TR6 the fulcrum can be installed backwards.  On Sprites
        the upper knuckle can be installed backwards (massive positive
        camber.  Etc.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com