Re: TR3 Crank Handle colour

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Crank Handle colour
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:17:07
Hi Dave,
      You wrote:
>I have just acquired a TR3 (traded a TR6 for it)

Cool - lotsa new toys, eh?  Which 6 went in trade?

>and I have a starter hand
>crank which is devoid of paint.  I wish to paint it the original factory
>colour.

When I bought a new one back in 78 or 79 (probably from TRF since
the dealers didn't want to hear about TR-3's then), it was painted
black.  Not sure if that was the factory color or the repro color,
but its a good place to start.  FWIW, at that time I had even less
money than I do now, and when the starter died, I used the crank to
start the car for about three months.  By about late November, as
the temps began to drop and the oil got thicker, it became progressively
harder to start the car that way and I finally broke down and bought a
rebuilt starter.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu