speedo woes - updates

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: speedo woes - updates
From: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:02:08 -0500

A while ago, I inquired about a speedometer issue that gave me a 15-20%
over indication of speed.

Well, after talking to a few local guys and listening to the list, and a
lot of number crunching, I found the problem.  The wrong speedometer!

For those inquiring minds, the correct unit for a stock US TR6, (i.e.,
standard tranny, 3.7 diff, 'stock' tires) seems to be a unit with 1120
turns/mile.  I do not believe that there are different drive shaft
counter gears available and all calibration is taken up in the unit.
Since Simths was (is) a popular supplier of speedometer units for
British cars, I'm sure that there are a number of different variations
out there.  You might want to double check before picking up a used
unit.

Now I am looking for a little more info.  The unit I pulled is a 1000
turns/mile.  The only TR I can match this up with is a PI TR6 (i.e.,
standard tranny, 3.45 diff, 'stock' tires).  Can anyone verify this is
correct?  If so, I am quite happy (i.e., NOT looking to sell), as I
wanted to swap to the 3.45 r&p on the next rebuild.

Scott Mackay
Austin, TX