RE: More TR4 clutch q's

To: "Bob Hutton" <bob@calc.com.au>, "Dennis Barr" <tr357@cdsnet.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: More TR4 clutch q's
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:18:43 -0400
Dennis and Bob,

It is possible to mount the slave cylinder on either side of the
bracket, however, the proper position is to have the cylinder on
the engine side of the bracket.  Its shown that way in the factory
manual and its installed and functioning that way on my car.

A couple of additonal ideas:

1) If the car originally had a Laycock clutch and you have a
Borg and Beck replacement, then you need to use shorter
bolts (this from the Rimmer catalog, I have no personal experience
with this item. I seem to recall thinking that Laycocks were fitted
to TR250 and later, not to TR4s.  Anybody know if its even
possible as an explanation for Dennis' problem?)

2) Have you checked the cross shaft?  The hydraulics can be fine
but if the fork/shaft pin are sloppy, you'll lose all the motion.

3) Could your transmission be from a later car (4A to 6)?  If so
the front shaft cover is different than the TR4 (shorter, I believe.)
Anybody know if this would made a difference?

At 02:57 PM 8/20/98 +1000, Bob Hutton wrote:

>Dennis,
>Is it possible, as it is with the 2000/2500 motor to mount the slave
>cylinder on the wrong side of its mounting plate?
>The 2500 manual actually shows an exploded view of it mounted on the wrong
>side, but accompanying photos show it correctly mounted. Wrongly mounted you
>would lose nearly 3/4" movement. On the 2500, the slave cylinder's body is
>through the mounting plate with its mounting flange on the gearbox side of
>the plate.
>
>Regards,
>Bob hutton

Cliff Hansen