Importing Body Shells

Subject: Importing Body Shells
From: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@wans.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:57:26 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
The Roadster Factory sells body shells for $6295 + shipping/handling. It is
my understanding that they are imported from England. Would it be possible
that with the realave value of the dollar and the extra shipping costs to
save money buy ordering it direct and cutting out the middle man? Does
anyone know what the shipping costs would be to send something that size and
weight to the US? And of course the mock frame has a $300 core charge would
it be worth even sending it back? I know its a long shot but they arent
going to be available for a couple of months at the least so I have time to
consider my options.

Also I know of someone who is interested in buying one of my doors minus the
glass and mechanical components how much would this be worth?

If I make a concrete decision to go with the shell I will want to get rid of
the stuff that is salvagable from the car who's body I'm replacing. How much
roughly would a trunk lid, bonnett be worth with no rust and bad paint and
what other items are commonly kept when stripping down a shell that had rust
on the lower components?

Sorry for the long message. I have been laboring over this for a while. That
reminds me. Is there any chance that a straight, completely rust free body
could be had and then have all the body work done and be ready for final
painting for a whole lot less than $6000?