Vibration answered

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vibration answered
From: "Buss, Grant" <gbuss@PGRINE.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:23:52 -0400
We just got back from three weeks holidays, two of them in my Spitfire.
Over 3000K and no problems. The message below was about my boys
Spitfire. Turns out the drive shaft was way out of balance. I never
drove it fast enough last year to get the vibration and he didn't know
it wasn't supposed to do that.

I have a '68 Spitfire, just on the road late last year. Last winter I
took the dif. out and replaced the seals and the two output bearings.
When I took it out for a test ride, there is a vibration that starts at
about 45 mph. I don't think it gets any worse as the speed increases. It
is still there if you put in the clutch.
        I have replaced the transmission mounts. The drive shaft and the
output shafts "look" good. I re-balanced the rear wheels. Last weekend I
put a different dif. in.
        Can anyone please tell me where to look next. Would the bearings
on the outboard end of the output shaft cause a vibration?
        thanks for your help.