tr6 ball joints

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 ball joints
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:07:18 -0600
A couple of months ago I replaced my upper ball joints with TRF ones made in
Taiwan. At first I noticed that the steering was fairly tight. Raising the
front wheels off the ground confirmed this as I could not move the front
wheels from side to side (ie. as if the steering wheel was being turned)
without GREAT effort. I'm being advised locally that there should not be
such binding in the steering of a car. Well after about 2000 miles of
driving, the ball joints have not loosened any. Although I understand the
merits of a "tight" front end, I think I may have a problem with excessively
tight ball joints.

Can anyone offer insights on this? All I have to go on is that the ones I
replaced allowed the steering action to be easily initiated with the front
wheels off the ground (ie. one hand would move the wheels from side to
side).

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---