Re: WWII Aircraft

To: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: WWII Aircraft
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:34:44 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hello John,

Weclome to the group of WWII aircraft lovers.  It's amazing how many people
like that stuff.  Not only on this list, but I've met some in person as
well.  You commented on my impeccable taste in aircraft, but not in
Triumphs!  I'm crushed.  Seriously, you may wish to check out Watson's
World War II Aircraft Museum at
http://canopus.lpi.msk.su/~watson/wwiiap.html.   Great pictures.

Sumner

----------
> From: John T. Nichols <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>
> To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
> Subject: Re: WWII Aircraft
> Date: Sunday, August 16, 1998 10:51 PM
>
> Sumner,
>
> PMFBI but I just wanted to congratulate you on your impeccable taste in
> WWII aircraft. I have always been a fan of the P-40 in all of its
> manifestations. I grew up in the '50s and had access to a bunch of war
> surplus recognition manuals that my older brother had accumulated and
> memorized all the specs. Now that I have the means I have acquired
> several of the art prints of the P-40 in action with autographs of the
> pilots. Not the same as a real P-40 but you do what you can. Jeff
> Ethell's VHS tape of the P-40 in the Roaring Glory series is marvelous
> and in surround sound.
> When the '70 campus riots shut down our campus (Miami U. in Ohio), I
> spent the time until school reopened building a model of the P-40
> Warhawk which I still have-having recently returned from Vietnam I
> wasn't in the mood for protests.
> In 1992 I happened to be in San Diego for a professional meeting while
> the celebrations commemorating the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo were
> occurring. It was a considerable thrill to see a B-25 take off from the
> deck of the Ranger and climb up to meet another six B-25s which then,
> after circling, went up to Manhattan Beach and flew over the general's
> house. Marvelous sight. There were also three F4Gs (Corsairs built by
> GM) and a couple of A-1s also in the flight. A Navy F-14 tried to keep
> with the Corsairs but was having a time flying slow enough. Standing on
> the tip of Point Loma we were looking down an all of this wonderful
> machinery.
>
> John T. Nichols
> '58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'
> '86 TVR 280i
>
> Sumner Weisman wrote:
> >
> > Hello Art,
> >
> > I'll bet most folks on this list are younger than us!  I used to build
> > "solid models".  Instead of buying them (no money) I would carve them
from
> > a block of pine.  The wings were beautifully filleted, details like the
> > flaps were carved in, etc.  I was a great carver, but a bad painter!
When
> > I went to paint the models, I ruined them.  Maybe that's why I had
someone
> > else paint my Triumph.
> >
> > My favorites were the P-40 (Flying Tiger), P-38 (Lockheed Lightning),
P-39