Re: TR-4A - Flushing brake lines, how to?

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: TR-4A - Flushing brake lines, how to?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 01:23:18 -0700
Cc: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
How about a turkey baster? Might need a rubber hose on the end to bring
it down small enough for the brake pipes. I agree you should keep the
alcohol away from the rubber parts. Does your car have the restrictor
inline to the rear brakes? Might want to remove it before flushing. The
manual I have says to use "methylated spirits" which I looked up in my
British to American translation dictionary and found was plain old
denatured alcohol solvent (get it at a hardware or paint store). Might
want to blow a little compressed air to push out as much alcohol as
possible before reassembling. Then be sure to "waste" plenty of the
fresh, clean brake fluid as a final flush.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602

--