Re: TR-4A - Flushing brake lines, how to?

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-4A - Flushing brake lines, how to?
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:12:43 -0400
At 11:06 AM -0700 8/13/98, John Cowan wrote:
>     I plan to flush the brake lines on my TR-4A with alcohol before
>reinstalling the Master Cylinder.  The best approach would seem to be
>disconnecting one line from its slave cylinder, starting from the farthest
>most, flushing out the open line, reconnecting it and then moving on to the
>next.  Then, when all four have been done and reconnected, opening up the
>bleed valves one at a time on the slave cylinders to flush them out, too.
>Then, repeating the whole process with fresh brake fluid, using the
>reinstalled MC.
>    The question is, what can I use initially to pump the alcohol through
>the system?  I don't want to use the MC, since I only want to put brake
>fluid into it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd be very reluctant to run alcohol through anything other than the brake
pipes themselves. (Perhaps I misunderstand you.) Using a large syringe to
force the alcohol through the pipes ought to work. I'd try to get a good
lab-grade isopropyl or methyl-alcohol; they are very dry. Blow them out
with compressed air when you're done.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)