Re: Fly-by's (how did we get on THIS subject)

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Fly-by's (how did we get on THIS subject)
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:00:45 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
A few years ago, Lufthansa airlines was touring around the US with a
fully restored 1938 or '39 Fokker Tri-Motor. Maybe we can get them to
enter it in one of the TR events (Tri-Motor... Triumph, close enough).
It's one of their early passenger planes (17 seats), was used as a troop
hauler in WWII, then went to S. America for a few years as a passenger
plane, finally was purchased back & restored in 1995 or so.

I had the good fortune to get a ride. Take off speed is well below 60
mph, it's weird seeing traffic pass you on the Calif. freeways (all
watching the plane, not the road, of course). Talk about handling. That
thing would stand on one wing and turn on a dime at it's slower cruising
speeds between 60 & 80 mph.

I think the most nervous-making part of the flight was seeing the pilot
doing his pre-flight check list, climb out on the wing & use a wooden
yard stick through the filler cap to check the fuel level. If you ever
get a chance, go up in one of those old birds. Some  weren't fast, but
they sure were fun.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602