Engine info

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine info
From: drew@pixar.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:22:09 -0700

Hi All,

I was just given "most" of a TR3 engine and was wondering if someone
can answer some questions I have.

The block is a TR3A block with 86mm liners and pistons and the serial
number TS57876E. As far as I can tell this puts it at about 1959 engine.

I'm less sure of the head and distributor though. What I think is the
part number on the head is 511695. It is stamped on a flat area above
the #1 cylinder intake/exhaust ports. There are also two casting numbers,
302137 and V2528, at the rear of the head. Two large letter 'P's are stamped
on the flat area where the thermostat housing bolts on. All of the intake
and exhaust guides are 5/16" in diameter. Seven of the metal tube inserts
for the push rods look like they're made of brass and have little grooves
or serrations running their length. The other tube looks to be a replace-
ment and is made of aluminum. The head was stripped when I got it but
it looks like it uses 2 valve springs on both the intakes and the exhausts.
All of the valve sping collars are aluminum or some other light weight
metal. Did any of the TR3/4 motors come stock with light weight collars?
I'm thinking that I have a later model TR4 head. Can someone verify this?
I'ld also like to know what the thickness of the head should be so I can
check to see if the head has been planed at all.

The part number on the distributor is 40814A and the model number is
DM2. I checked Moss's catalog and they don't mention this part number
but they do have a model DM2P4 listed. Another strange thing is that
the wires on the distributor cap come out more or less parallel to the
axis of the vacuum advance adjusting screw. This is 90 degrees out from
the way my TR3's wires are. Any thoughts on what distributor I have?
I seem to recall someone mentioning that the distributor (or at least
the weights) need to be changed when using a larger cylinder bore. Is
this true or am I imagining things again?

One interesting item which came with the motor is a cast aluminum valve
cover. It has the standard ribs running down the length of the top and
an oil fill hole in the middle. The name "CONECO" and part number "T 500"
are cast under the top. There a bunch of holes drilled on one side where
a breather attaches and believe it or not the breather has the name
"OFFENHAUSER" cast into it. Ever see one of these?

Any information would be appreciated,

Drew

--
Drew Rogge