Re: My turn in the corner...

To: Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: My turn in the corner...
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:47:54 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-11 13:22:57 EDT, Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu
writes:

<<
 But in your haste, you remove the old pushrods too quickly, and the 20w 50
Castrol GTX is
 quite viscous, and the lifters are 'lifted" out of the bores and are now
scattered about
 the lifter wells....hidden under the head.

 ...then it would be your turn to sit in the corner.

 Or write on the blackboard a le Bartman-- "I will not not rush, I will not
rush."

 After three hours of fiddling with magnets and coat hangers through the
pushrod tubes,
 all but three are back in their respective bores. Sigh. >>

Chris,

Been there--don't wanna go back!

I was putting a fresh, heavily modified head on my TR4, and using the steel
shim head gasket, which, as you know, requires quite a bit of modification
itself.  I had the head torqued down, pushrods in place, and was ready to
install the rocker shaft.  At that point I decided to pull the pushrods to
make sure they were absolutely clean, that there was no contamination in the
oil sitting in the lifters that might be clinging to the pushrods.

Well, one of the lifters came out of its bore, and I could not get that sucker
back in.  I ended up pulling the head.  I was in no mood to start over with a
new steel shim gasket, so I decided to take a chance.  I cleaned the "old"
one, which had just been installed, sprayed it with Permatex Copper, and put
it back in place.

So far, no problems!

Wishing you success.

Rich Rock