Re: The New Guy

To: Mike Kunzig <mkunzig@stk.com>
Subject: Re: The New Guy
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:52:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Kunzig wrote:

> Hello,
>         I just wanted to introduce myself becasue this is my first time
> on the list. My friends have just purchased a 1972 Spitfire IV "basket
> case" and we are in the process of rebuilding it. Their intentions at
> the moment are to keep it as stock as possible, but since we are a bunch
> of kids(in our 20's) we might move away from that idea in the end. For
> now though, I could use some suggestions on some respectable parts
> dealers, preferably in the US but not limited to. I'm really having a
> lot of fun and am looking foward to getting this thing running. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>         Mike

Here's a suggestion; forget the "keeping it stock" idea for the Spitfire.
While it's a
romantic notion, in reality, you could spend $10,000 and a thousand hours
restoring a
Spit to perfect stock, and it would probably only fetch you about half that at
resale.
On a Spitfire, you should instead think about uprating EVERYTHING (as money
allows, of
course).  Fit a header, oil cooler, fan clutch and dual SU's, HS4's preferably.
 Install
good shocks, and if you still have money, lightweight wheels.  The Spit's best
attribute
is its handling potential, but you'll need every bit of power out of that
engine as
well.  Good luck, and have fun (!)

--
Martin Secrest