Re: Spitfire clutch job

To: "Andrew Lindeman" <drfaustus@london.crosswinds.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire clutch job
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:38:00 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Before you started the job, you should have tried the driven plate on the
clutch input shaft to make sure that there were no burrs that stop the
driven plate from sliding freely on the input shaft splines.  Having done
that, the alignment tool is used to center the clutch (driven) plate between
the cover plate and the flywheel.  If the clutch plate is not centered, it
is almost impossible to mate the engine and gearbox.  When bolting on the
cover plate, you should have laid the clutch plate against the flywheel,
inserted the alignment tool (the small end goes into the pilot bushing in
the crankshaft end) and then installed the cover plate.  As you tighten the
cover plate, be sure to wiggle the alignment tool to ensure that it can be
easily removed.  It should come out easily - if it comes out with some
effort, it means the driven plate is not correctly centered.

If you did the above, your clutch plate is properly centered.  Now, when you
mate the gearbox to the engine, remember that the g/b input shaft is
splined, as is the clutch plate, so you may have to turn the input shaft
circumferentially in order for the splines to line up.  You can do this by
selecting a gear and turning the tailshaft - top gear is best.  Once your
splines are lined up, you may have to wiggle the g/b a little in order to
get the nose of the input shaft into the pilot bushing, but it should go in
easily.

All this talk of mating has made me quite breathless.  I think I'll go and
sit down!

Good luck!