RE: The British Auto Industry

To: "CIrvin1258@aol.com" <CIrvin1258@aol.com>
Subject: RE: The British Auto Industry
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:39:28 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> 1. Chevy Vega
Got a bad rap because of some early head gasket problems.  A ruster, but so was
everything else back then.  My sister put 140,000 miles on hers.

> 2. Ford Edsel
Bad styling, bad marketing, but otherwise pretty much standard Ford for the
period.

> 3. Buick Special (with the PRE-ROVER 215 V-8 that blew up in 40,00 miles - or
>     less - some fireball, eh?)
I never heard the blowing up part.  What did Rover change that made a
difference?  Mostly, just the wrong product in the wrong market at the wrong
time.  I read that GM tried to buy it back in the 80's.

> 4. Dodge Daytona Turbo
What's the problem here?  I had a Shelby Charger with 2.2 Turbo.  Great car.
Very few problems in 90,000 miles, and it would show it's tail lights to the
5.0 V-8's of the era.

> 5. Chrysler K-series
A big seller that saved Chrysler.  Not for me, but a lot of Americans bought
and loved them.

> 6. Ford Pinto
Don't believe everything you see on 60 Minutes.

> 7. ANY G.M. product manufactured from 1978-1988 that had the wonderful
>peeling paintjobs! (Oh - the number of folks that were told "It was the soap
>you used, and NOT our prep work that caused it. It isn't covered under
>warranty. Sorry.")
Sorry, GM, can't help you on this one.

> 8. The 1979 Mustang GT as used by the C.H.P. (remember that one? It had an
>ugly tendancy to flip over when it hit 100mph!)
That would be driver error.  Next we'll be talking about Ralph Nader and the
Corvair.

> 9. Just about any AMC product
My '73 Javelin AMX was at least the equal of the pony cars from the big three,
and the '68 through '70 AMX's are legendary.   They later lost a lot, but who
didn't?  The Eagle Wagon was way ahead of it's time, witness the Subaru
Outback, and it was a very ingenious use of an old chassis (Hornet).  AMC
actually did a lot with very limited resources, they just never got the
marketing and sales to have big budgets.

> 10. 1975-1985 Chevy Corvettes, and Camaros (so emission equipped, that my
>1969 MGB-GT could run rings around them - and often did)
Those were dark years for performance in general, not just for Chevy.

> 11. Plymouth Volare/Chrysler LeBaron - Personal experience here: my dad had
>one and in 2 years' time, nearly every mechanical part short of the engine,
>had been replaced TWICE!
Name the car, and I bet we can find someone with similar experience. (Not that
I'm saying these were particularly good cars, either)