stromberg carb questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: stromberg carb questions
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:25:33 -0400
I've just completely rebuilt the Stromberg  150CD4 carb on my 76 Spitfire
and had a few questions that I hope some body may be able to help me with.
The carb appears to have been rebuilt before so I'm not sure that the PO
didn't lose some parts, but here goes:

1) There isn't a choke return spring on the choke lever, I know that
earlier Strombergs had a coil spring that would help pull the choke back
into the off position.  My car has a throttle return spring and a rod
connected between the exhaust manifold and the screw that grips the choke
cable.  Is this correct or an example of some shade tree engineering?

2) The carbuerator was really dirty so I completely dissassembled it and
cleaned it.  My next question is what is the best way to adjust the coarse
and fine idle mixture?  The manual says never to remove the cap over the
coarse nut and adjust it but it's got to be done since I had to completely
remove it when I rebuilt it.

3)  Does anyone know of a manual for the Stromberg carbs?  The Haynes
Spitfire manual is helpful but doesn't have as much detail as I would like.

I finally got this car running last week and had it on the road for a few
hours.  Thanks to all the people who have answered my many questions in the
past that made it possible.

Glenn Trunnell
'76 Spitfire 1500