Re: TR6 - Relays for Fan & Anti-Dieseling

To: mxgo@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: TR6 - Relays for Fan & Anti-Dieseling
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:19:18 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-08-09 18:34:55 EDT, mxgo@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Will installing a SPDT relay for the anti-dieseling valve have a conflict a
>  future DPDT relay that I will use for a electric fan installation such as
>  was installed by Shane Ingate?

No problem at all. Each relay is independant of the other.

>  I thought it
>  would be easier for me to replace the existing ignition 5 position with a
>  new 6 position switch (without removing the ignition lock assembly).  I
know
>  that I would have to cut off the plastic plug on the new ignition switch
>  harness and connect the switch harness wires  to the existing car harness
>  and then install the elec. fan relay.

Actually, it will be much easier to use the relay than to try to splice in a
new switch. The chances of creating a reliability or safety problem will be
much less with the relay. If you wish, I can draw up a diagram, similar to the
one Shane has, for the addition of the anti-run on relay, and send it to you
as a JPG file. I am hopelessly behind on all my correspondance, so it may be a
couple of days or so before I can get to it. Let me know if you want it.

>  Also, can you provide me with the
>  Part No. for the DPDT relay?

The circuit used by Shane doesn't use a DPDT relay, rather a DPDT switch. The
relay is a simole SPST relay, of the type that can be found in most any auto
parts store. These are typically used when adding lighting circuits.

For the switch, go to your local Radio Shack and ask the clerk for a DPDT
switch, with a capacity of at least 10 amps. He will show you several, so just
pick the one that looks the best to you. Try to get a two position switch,
rather than the three position type - ie, get an ON - ON switch (typically
refered to as an A - B selector switch), not an ON - OFF - ON. If you use the
three position type, the fan will not work at all in the OFF position. Most of
the DPDT switches sold in an auto parts store are of the three position type.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74