Re: Flushing Brake System

To: Jerry <lensman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Flushing Brake System
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 21:46:18 -0700
Cc: "triumphs-owner@autox.team.net" <triumphs-owner@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Jerry,

I think you will need to clean out all the old Dot 4 fluid thoroughly
with something like denatured alcohol. I'm sure the rest of the group
can add to this, but I believe I've read Silicone based Dot 5 brake
fluids should never be mixed with traditional brake fluids. In fact, you
may have to change out all rubber parts too.  I think there is
additional info on the VTR maintenance manual site. Apparantly DOT 5 is
a bit of a trade off. It is safer on paints and better used in cars that
see a lot of "garage time". But, DOT 4 is better for heavy use,
primarily because it has a higher boiling point.

That DOT 4 is a great paint remover, isn't it? I just dealt with the
same problem as you.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602