TR4 won't go

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 won't go
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 20:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
I fiddled with the battery leads & starter cable and my TR4 cranks a
little better.  But it still won't fire when I crank it.

I'm getting lots of gas- plugs are wet and smell like it.  The only clue I
have is that the distributor cap makes "pop" noises (sounds like it) -
like an arc jumping.  I'm guessing that the coil discharge is not making
it through to the spark plugs.

I do have a frayed low-tension lead.  It will be replaced when the
replacement arrives ... hopefully Monday.  Could this be the culprit?  I
also have a spare condensor to try, but it's about 20 years old (NOS) and
I hesitate to trust it.  Or is my timing off?

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be welcomed.

In other news, I've completed about a third of the rear fender and hope to
have it done up tomorrow (ha!  yeah right)

-Malcolm